More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ausable Chasam and the Trip Home

Greetings blog readers! I'm sorry to disappoint some of you with no blog entry last night. My Mum and I had a full day and I was just pooped!
Our day started out with a trip to Ausable Chasm one of the oldest natural attractions in America. I have vague memories of going there as a young child when we used to live in Montreal and would often day-trip into New York State and Vermont regularly. So it was nice to go back and see something you kinda but not quite remember. My Mum says they've made a lot of changes, as some of the paths and lookouts used to be quite dicey. Needless to say it was BEAUTIFUL. I've got a small sample of the many pictures I took yesterday.




After we walked the lower half of the trails at Ausable Chasm I decided I did want to go tubing down the river after all. My Mum professed I had worn her out and was going to hang out at the car while I went. So I got into my swim suit and some grubby clothes. This time I walked the upper rim, which didn't have the magnificent views that the lower half had. Tubing down the river was really cool... and fun!


When I got back to the car and we were ready to head out my Mum had planed the next stage of our day. We took the ferry across the widest part of Lake Champlain to Burlington, Vermont. The ferry was pretty cool, I had never been on one before (this was a first for my car as well!). The scenery was beautiful and we chatted with a nice guy from Sudbury, I have to say we've run into a lot of Canadians the last four days. We got to Burlington too late in the day (it was getting near 5pm) to do any of the cool Museum-touristy things but we had dinner drove around, the city then took the long way back driving to the bridge crossing the lake and back to the Inn.


Today was our day to head home... but of course we took the long way! We drove out to Watertown, did a little shopping (I think both of us were a little too tired to truly shop), had a very late lunch and headed home. I finally crossed my doorstep after 8PM tonight.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm from Western NY originally, and your pictures are making me a bit homesick/nostalgic. It's a lovely corner of the world, particularly in summer.

Tanja said...

Beautiful pictures, I'm glad you had such a good time!

Tanja

Oma said...

Did you know that Burlington has a walking mall similar to Sparks street mall in Ottawa? DH & I were there a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed having lunch there. I've seen pics of the Ausable Chasm but have never seen it. I would have kept your Mom company at the car rather than go tubing. Sounds like you had an awesome trip. I didn't much care for Lake Placid either with all the tourist shops. Lake George is also very touristy but the scenery there is beautiful.

Lillie said...

Awesome scenery..loved that lighthouse. Great pictures! thanks for sharing Dani :D

Iris said...

Looks like you had a great time. the pictures are beautiful !!!

Anonymous said...

Now you are REALLY right where my daughter lives! She loves to take the ferry with her friends and shop in Burlington! I haven't gone on the ferry yet, but someday!
well looks like you had a wonderful time with your mom and I'll bet you are EXHAUSTED! lol
LOVE the beautiful pictures of ALL your trip!

Julie said...

Magnificent views, the sort you find on a postcard...welcome home, i'm sure you have plenty of memories to last a lifetime

Wendy said...

Spectacular pictures, Dani! It looks like a fantastic trip!

Karan said...

Wow, you sure know how to pack a lot into a trip Dani. Fantastic scenery. :0)

Hannah said...

hehehe. Too cool! DBF and I went to Ausable Chasm 2 years ago. We did the river rapid ride. It was a little crazy because NY had floods around that time so that water was REALLY high. I've also been on the ferry across Lake Champlain 4 to 5 times. We take it to my family's house after I fly in Burlington. That's so cool that I actually have been to the same places. I have a picture of the elephant just like yours. I will e-mail you a couple if I have them on my computer. :)

Carolyn said...

Dani-

Your photos are awesome....you have an eye for it that's for sure...I wanted to pop by and let you know that I nomindated you for
Brillante Weblog award.Come on by my blog and pick up your prize when you get a chance:)

CritterLady62 said...

Great pictures! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those Ausable Chasam photos are amazing! Love 'em!!! :D

Sharon said...

Pretty squares!