More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Starting To Dig Out

Well the snow isn't over yet, but its finally slowed down. From reports on the news we're due for another 5cm by 4am when it should be all done and over with. I think we've had in the area of 30cm of snow so far.

This is what our drive looked like before Todd started the snow blowing at 10pm... an hour and a half later he's still out there! He have a HUGE snow drift in the middle of our yard. I'll have to get pictures of that in the morning when there's light outside.

Despite my dislike of winter, you can find beauty in it. Jack frost has paid us a bit of a visit, leaving artwork on some of our windows.


Now all of you who think this is just wonderful and beautiful all this snow (I know you're southerners!)... those of us who live with it from one year to the next just aren't thrilled by it at all. It means hard work getting our driveways passable and walkways cleared. If you live on or near a main road you may be lucky and your roads will be ploughed. If you don't you'll be lucky not to get stuck. I know I'll have to leave early for work tomorrow, and I'm sure my 20 minute drive will probably be more in the realms of 60 minutes. So far none of the school boards in the city have called a snow day... we probably won't know into the wee hours of the morning, I think my board usually makes that decision between 4:30-5am. Even once a snow day is called I am still supposed to make my way into work or the nearest school in our board... which for me means the school I work at! With Todd clearing out the drive now I can't see why I won't be able to make it into work... just take my time and not worry about being late.

Today I did manage to get that Sens jersey mounted. I have to say it took me several hours, and my hands and especially my thumbs were sore for most of the afternoon. I never did get around to getting my beads into watchmaker cases. After finishing up mounting the jersey I just vegged out with my laptop, reading a few blogs, commenting, and changing the format of my wish list. Previously it was an excel file you could save from my webspace, but I've found out that this doesn't work for everyone. So I started up a second blog with my wish list... there is an entry for each designer then I've listed the design(s) I'd like. This should be more user friendly now... I hope. If anyone has suggestions for improvement be sure to let me know!

This evening during the Survivor finale I finished up the ornament I started late last night, and started a second one.

Boughs of Holly
c2000 Thea Dueck - Victoria Sampler
Beyond Cross Stitch 2-3
Stitched on : 25ct white lugana
Stitched with : DMC floss & perle cotton, Kreinik #4 Braid & Wildflowers

Boy... I've got to do some ornamentification this week! Well before Friday at the latest... I hope my new cording drill shows up!

18 comments:

mainely stitching said...

I grew up in Maine, so I sympathize with all the hard work that's associated with a 'winter wonderland'. ;) That said, I do miss it ...

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Yes, snow is a mess..and a lot of work...but isn't it beautiful when you don't have to go anywhere?! I felt that way all weekend how pretty it was...now today I've got to get 4 kids out the door and drive them to school and places and I'm dreading it.....

Holly Boughs is BEAUTIFUL Dani...just really pretty!

Karin said...

Great finish, Dani! Stay safe on your way to work this morning, and I hope you're able to dig out from all of that snow.

Stephanie said...

Ooh, no I don't envy you your snow. BC has had a lot this year (for them, different scale from ON!) and my parents are moaning. The photos are lovely, but rain is fine with me!

Love your ornament - looks like you'll have a couple for yourself this year after all!

Dawn T. said...

I am one of those "southerner's" who love snow:) but I did grown up in the Midwest so I do remember the bad parts of snow like shoveling.

The ornie looks great! I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Beatrice said...

Your photos are great. I put one on as well, we have had 25-30cm of snow. Not fun but pretty.
Your ornament is very sweet!

Karoline said...

Lovely ornie Dani, congratulations

Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Lovely finish! Have fun ornimentifying it.

Anonymous said...

I do love the snow, even if it's a pain to clean up. I would love to get dumped on at least once this season!

Hitomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hitomi said...

Hi Dani,
Lovely ornament! congratulations!!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and your sweet comment!
I've loved reading through yours and seeing your beautiful stitching. I'll definitely visit again!

Cheryl said...

This ornie is lovely Dani!
It does look pretty in your photos but I would hate to have snow like that

Kathy A. said...

Dani - that ornament is just stunning. You do know my address right LOL LOL
I don't envy you all that snow. Hopefully, it will be all gone by the time we get home or at least have stopped snowing.

Margaret said...

Beautiful, I love your snow...as long as the only way I have to deal with it is in pictures! LOL YOu can send it all my way, as we do need the rain/snow in the high country!

Jane said...

No snow where we are. Maybe a dusting every ten years or so but the the foothills surrounding the valley get some. It is nice to see it but not have to deal with the problems like you described. The pic of your window is very pretty, though. Your ornament is lovely.

stitcherw said...

Glad you got the jersey done, and your ornament finish is lovely. Good luck with all the snow, hopefully it is quiet in your area for a while.
Sue

Unknown said...

Oy, I don't even want to think about commuting when there's snow on the ground. I'm like you, short commute that turns long whenever there's snow. There's 2 big hills between my house & the office, and I've heard that on really snowy days some cars don't make it.

I was checking out your wishlist, and I see you're looking for BC's EduCATed & The Lighthouse. I have those two, so if you'd like to swap for them drop me an email.

That's a really beautiful ornament! Can't wait to see how you finish it :)

Lynne said...

I love your VS ornament, I think I've finished that one too. I will have to look in my HUGE pile of unfinished Items. LOL

I'll trade you snow for ice. I grew up with lots of snow but very little ice. KC has at least 2 ice storms a year.